Monday, June 11, 2007

A Father's Point of View

My wife can tell you when we started receiving the many packets in the mail that we requested from numerous adoption agencies. I cannot. My wife can tell you when we decided on Russia, why we picked our agency, or when we went to the first informational meeting, or who was speaking. I cannot. My wife can tell you when we finished our personal biography, or had our first visit with our social worker, or what the social worker was wearing or saying, but I cannot. The only reason the adoption moves in the direction toward completion is because of the hard work, focus, and drive of my wife.

I can tell you that just as God has adopted us into his eternal family, we decided that it is only natural to be able to adopt a child into our earthly family. At least that’s what one of the adoption videos that we received in the mail said, and we both cried at how true this is. And so I told my wife, “Let’s adopt from Russia!!”, and I headed for a bowl of ice cream while my wife filled out the application and finished our dossier. I can tell you that I love my daughter now, even though I’ve never met her, I have no idea what she looks like, what makes her laugh, her favorite color, toy, the list goes on. I can tell you that I can’t wait to meet her.

For the last year and a half I have come home to sign and date papers . . . it’s what I do. I don’t know what these papers are, or who they’re for, but I sign them. Then we go to a bank and I, my wife, and someone called a “notary” sign and date papers together. It’s like a club. Then, we take these papers to an office in Springfield, and a lady takes the papers, puts a seal on them, and then, we hand her a check. Makes sense to me. I have been to the doctor twice to have him stick things in my ears and mouth, and frown at my blood pressure. And then one day, I received a phone call on my cell phone. It was Friday.
“Jonah, this is your social worker Diane.”
“Who?”
“From your agency.”
“What?”
Hours later…“We have a child in Astrakhan.” she said.
I remember a feeling of unbridled joy. Now I know where my daughter is!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Tears of joy! We'll be checking in on you. Will you have access while you travel?

Krystina said...

I'm almost at a loss of what to say... We are praying for you daily. I have tears of happiness (and worry) for you. I want you to have this more you know! Praise God that this is finally moving forward for you.

Mom Marie said...

You brought tears of joy when I read your comments. We are soooo excited for you guys and can't wait to welcome your little one to our family! We will be praying for you as always.

Heather said...

Congratulations! I will be praying that you both have a wonderful trip. I hope that meeting your little Solnishka will be even better than you anticipate.