Monday, August 13, 2007

Monday Monday

Monday the 13th day of August , 2007.
The sun rises on Monday. Light stretches across the Volga, tankers float by, the air conditioner hums from its spot in the window. The light starts to spill into the bedroom through the shear curtains. It enters my eyes (the light, not the curtains) and the optic nerve receives the light image, translates it into electrical impulses that go to my brain for processing. My brain then takes the “there’s light in your eyeball”, message and tells the hands to rub eyeballs. My brain then tries to gather it’s bearings; I’m in Russia, I’m in a hotel. I have drool on my face. I roll over to look out the window, but the window sits too high so I just stare at the wall. I think of the things that have happened so far. I think of all the things to come. I think of Caleb and how funny he can be. I think of the way he throws a ball, or of his face when he’s got his blanket to his mouth while I tell him a story. I think of the way he makes me smile when he uses grown-up words in his “know what I did today” stories. I miss that little stuff a lot. I think of Lilia and how she has no idea who these strangers are, and what these strangers have in mind. How different her world is about to become, and my world also. I can’t wait to get to know her, to see who she really is. Every child that has come back to the hotel shows change, literally over night. I think of all of us together, going to Church, going to see family, or just playing in the back yard. It will be a great day, another blessing to an already blessed life. I continue to stare at the wall and then it hits me, “I am hungry, I must get up.” We went to the orphanage to see Lilia this morning. She is such a happy child and she adores Andi.
Side story:
Yesterday, we walked to the market. On the way, we passed a lovely, dead goat hung on a gate, bleeding out. On the return trip, we witnessed the same dead goat being skinned. Hmm, that will be a packed café tonight . . . FRESH MEAT!!

3 comments:

MCCM Johnson said...

Wow...as an educator, I am impressed with your biology systems review. Other than that, I am laughing as I read at your description and detail. I actually created a visual with the drool on your face...not pretty!

Boy, I have lots of questions: How often and for how long do you get to visit with Lilia? What did you do after you received Lilia out of the hands of the nanny as she was exiting? Do you get to eat with her? What do you do during your visits? How much longer? Will she spend the night with you or will they hand her over to you one day and then you leave? Do you know what is going on or do you get instructions day by day?
We are keeping posted!! Thanks again for sharing all the details of this experience with us...the drool is questionable!

Carla

mommy said...

Okay, I am your mother, but I've been busy, busy, busy. I'm here now and it's all about quality time, right?

I have been keeping up through the girls. They watch the blog doggedly.

I am appreciating the writing you are both doing. Do all you can, while you can. I can imagine how much this will mean to Lilia someday when she is a teenager and it all becomes about HER! She will want all of this info, every scrap. So write, write, as much as you can, impressions, sights, smells, sounds, goats (was it a cute spotted goat--no, don't tell me!), the whole deal. This lets us enter too, so keep it up.

Lilia and Caleb. What would the blog be without them? One of them holding you hostage over there, and the other one holding the rest of us hostage...I'm just kidding. I know what you're thinking--but he's not holding anyone hostage--least of all you, a mother who can't even blog for a week (or more). Well, I had to set up a whole new password, and that became an obstacle...a really big hairy one.

I have laughed all morning over the disappointment Caleb felt over the entire state of MO. I didn't know how I would ever compete (did I say compete? I meant compliment) the animal relocation program that Dave and Caleb have been working on (the oppossum deal). And the days of swimming, that LAKE they've thrown in our faces...well I did get a little chuckle out of the fishing trip--2 minutes! Hah! I could see where such activity could turn a boy against a whole state. I could see it!

But then it hit me...it's starting. Has he picked up one of their coasters and cried because the coaster reminded him of his mom and dad? No, he's not there yet...but he gets there. Yes, he does. I've seen it. And he could be coming my way. And pride goeth before a big, huge, free-fall. So I didn't mean anything petty or jealous-like when I chuckled a little over the "anti-state-of-Missouri" thing. I really didn't. God. Merciful God.

Oh bless the McLanes, Father. Oh bless them with stamina. He's only one small boy Lord, with wonderful cup-shaped ears and such a great smile. He's nothing to be afraid of, even if he wails, 'I've got to get out of this place,' at midnight.

I was heartened that he had a renewed attitude in the morning. Yes, I said, Atta boy. Keep it up. We're only (almost) mid-stream. Postive, happy thoughts.

Mother

Mom Marie said...

Yes, Mother, we have averted a couple of meltdowns, but I think he is due, say, the first of next week when he gets to your house!

Tonight at supper it was, "My eye hurts! I think there is something in it. I can't open it, it hurts too much." "Don't rub it Caleb, it will make it worse." Crying he says, "I have to rub it!" His aunt holding his hands and holding his eye open and me putting drops in he cries, "It hurts, it hurts!" Blinking a couple of times he says, "I think it's better. I think my tears made it better. Next time you can tell me I can't play Play Station so I'll cry and my tears will make it better." Now why didn't I think of that?

We really are having a great time with him most of the time. He & Papa are out hitting golf balls in the pasture right now & will probably do some fishing after that. There will be a little whining when I tell him he has to take a bath or at least wash his feet. He'll say something like, "This is not like home. I don't have to take a bath or wash my feet at home all the time."(pout, pout) But in the end he will do what is expected and Papa will tell him a great story about Indians & the early settlers or the Pinnacle Lake monster and all will be right with his world again, for 1 more night anyway.