Thursday, August 16, 2007

Vacationing in Astrakhan

So you want to vacation in Astrakhan?
If you are reading this, then you’re considering Astrakhan as your next exotic vacation destination. And why not? Astrakhan has something for the whole family. There’s “being badgered by gypsies” for the kids, dried fish jerky for mom, and large statues of former communist leaders for dad. And if you like awkward shopping experiences, come on down. There are, of course, some simple phrases you will need to know:
“Khak-de-la”- Hey, if you didn’t know it already, I am an American.
“pa-zha-loo-sta, spa-see-bah”- I have sweaty palms.
“Nyet”-Go away gypsies! I worked hard for this bottle of water and I’m not about to go through the hassle of buying another.
“Dah”-That’s what I was pointing at like a stupid American with my “deer in the head lights” stare.
Remember to always end your horrible Russian with a questioning tone. That way the person you’re dealing with knows you’re not really sure what they are saying and also not real sure about what you’re saying. Your eyes should always say HELP when speaking broken Russian.
Today we walked, and walked, and walked. We walked to a mall, which was big, full of stores, and none of the stores had anything we wanted, and they were overpriced. Hey! We have those kinds of malls in America. Then we walked through a huge local market. I was amazed at the amount of raw meat hanging around in front of stands, and enough fish to fill a small pond, if you wanted a pond full of dead fish. The smell alone was worth the price of admission (there was no admission fee). And I can’t even begin to describe the cart of cow parts as it was pushed past us. I know that I looked stupid and touristy taking pictures and giggling at the sight, but hey as the days go on I ‘m growing used to that feeling. After this, we walked across town to a restaurant, then to a cell phone store, then back to the hotel, then to the grocery store than back to the hotel…aaaaaaahhhh. It was actually nice walking today. It’s overcast and the evening was cool and mild. We saw Lilia this morning. She continues to unfold her personality each day. I would describe today’s personality as “a little whiney”, which means she will fit into this family like peas and carrots.
Well tomorrow we go to the Kremlin. More on that subject later! Aunt CC, no, we don't drink the tap water. We buy "Vada, still" from the grocery store, and there's always Coca-Cola and Pepsi. "Nyet-Nyet" is another way to say No-No. If anyone has any other questions, ask, and we will try to find the answer!

4 comments:

Brian D. said...

"I would describe today’s personality as “a little whiney”, which means she will fit into this family like peas and carrots."

Jonah ... whiney? Never!

Ha!

Seriously, congratulations on everything. I'll be praying for you all.

MCCM Johnson said...

Pictures??? Got any??? Wow, thanks again for the great description of your experience...you make it so easy to create visual images in our minds...however, you may not want to hold out for a career as a travel agent. Comedian...maybe??!! I am a beach person myself...raw meat markets is not my idea...but I would consider it a great vacation spot with Lilia as the main attraction...well worth it!!! Day by day...one day......

Speaking of jobs...Jonah?? I guess you got that taken care of??? In case you were wondering...everything is fine here... 100 degrees for a week...no rain in forever...the deacons are Deaconing along but I am sure they miss you. Cory would really appreciate it if you could bring home some good Russian hockey players for him to have for hockey buddies...does Lilia play hockey??? However, if you run into any Russian hockey jerseys during one of your trips to the market...he would gladly pay you Tuesday for one today. He keeps explaining to us that he is half Russian since he plays hockey.
Take care and keep up the great blog!!

Carla & Cory

Dave said...

I have a question!!!!! Send me the answer as soon as possible.

It rained on Dun Croft today. A great shower and pleasant temperatures this afternoon. We sat outside in the rain drinking beer with the builder, his wife and helper. Even Caleb joined in the fun (but not the beer part).
Speaking of the boy....he now has a race track worn in the gravel from taking the path around the driveway 8,000 times and making the golf cart slide sideways at every opportunity. It is his secret racetrack and wants it left alone until he comes back with you.

He wanted another bedtime story tonight. Suspecting that I might have trouble making one up he helped me out by starting it, filling in the middle and the ending. He laughed at all his jokes and wierd events. All in all he thought it one of my best stories.

More later,
Dad, Dave, Papa

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for Lilia and Suzanne to get to play together! She sounds delightful and I am so pleased to hear that she is responding to you so well Andi. We are all anxious for your return!

In the meantime, it's school prep time. We visited and met the first grade teacher today! Tuesday we'll be in full swing and then in a couple weeks James gets to start too (just parttime preschool).

Suzanne is doing wonderful, I watch her and picture Lilia doing some of the same things before long! The latest 'growing up' is that twice, Suzanne has stood by the toilet and demanded to go peepee -- and by golly, I sat her down and she did! Now, let's just say, I'm actually less than thrilled since I can truly appreciate the beauty of diapers after going through potty training twice. Lilia and Suzanne will have some interesting conversations -- I rarely understand what she's saying, but in the past few weeks we're getting a bit more -- the latest shocker was when she said "no thank you" -- seriously, I was floored.

Well, I better sign off for now. Know that you continue to be in our prayers.

Beth